Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Blogging, blogging, blogging when I should be working.

I've been really disappointed in some of my recent library books.
For example:

A Million Little Pieces by James Frey - Yes, I heard all the controversy about how he made a lot of this stuff up but I wanted to read the book and see what all the fuss was about. And I HATED IT! Yuck, yuck, yuck! If he didn't actually go through all that stuff then he has a messed up imagination to come up with all those gory details. GROSS!

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert - I thought I would love this book. It sounded so interesting! I did like part one about her travels to Italy. But the language of the book is just so flowery and dramatic that I couldn't make myself read any more.

Two books that I read only partway through and quit. I almost never quit reading a book before I've read it cover to cover but these books, even though they were much-talked-about bestsellers just didn't do it for me. Sorry if you liked them or even loved them. They just weren't my cup of tea.

Here's a list of the books I currently have checked out from the library:
1. Cash : the autobiography / Johnny Cash with Patrick Carr
2. Johnny Cash : the life of an American icon / Stephen Miller
(I kind of got on a JC kick here and am loving reading about him. I can hear his deep, rich voice reading the words to me as I learn more about one of my favorite singers.)
3. Beautiful lies : a novel / Lisa Unger.
4. Sliver of truth : a novel / Lisa Unger.
5. The garden of Ruth / Eva Etzioni-Halevy.
6. The song of Hannah : a novel / Eva Etzioni-Halevy.
7. Attracting birds, butterflies & other winged wonders to your backyard / Kris Wetherbee ; photography, Rick Wetherbee.
8. Baby proof / Emily Giffin.
9. Burpee-- the complete vegetable & herb gardener : a guide to growing your garden organically / by Karan Davis Cutler ; photography by David Cavagnaro.
10. Creative tabletop fountains : 30 projects to renew your spirit / Marthe Le Van.
11. How to grow more vegetables : and fruits, nuts, berries, grains, and other crops than you ever thought possible on less land than you can imagine / by John Jeavons
12. Kitchen garden planner / written by Darrell Trout.
13. Loving Frank / by Nancy Horan.
14. National Audubon Society North American birdfeeder handbook / by Robert Burton; introduction by Steven W. Kress.
15. Vegetable gardening : from planting to picking : the complete guide to creating a bountiful garden / Jane Courtier and Fern Marshall Bradley.
16. Virginia bird watching : a year-round guide / Bill Thompson III and the staff of Bird watcher's digest.
17. The budget gardener / Maureen Gilmer.

So now you can see what I'm reading about lately. Vegetable gardens, how to attract birds to my backyard and make a tabletop fountain, the Man in Black and a few chick-lit books and mystery/suspense novels thrown in for good measure. Gee, I'm a dork. :)

0 comments: