Friday, August 11, 2006

One of the best things about my job is that I get to read childrens' books and call it "research". I use a LOT of books for my lessons and try to have at least a book or two a day that has to do with whatever topic we might be studying about that particular week. I spend a great many of my lunch breaks from work at the library, which is within walking distance (5 or 6 blocks) from my work. Those of you that know me, can I'm sure imagine that trying to cram in a library trip on an hour lunch break would seem to be an almost impossible task. And yes, I do try to limit myself to only going once every 2 or 3 weeks, because almost invariably I get so caught up in my "research" that I make myself run short on time. I practically have to sprint back to work to make it on time. So far, I have not been late, but there have been some mighty close calls!
When I go to the library, I usually come away with a TON of books. As of today, I have 20 books checked out and only 2 of them are for adults! Anyway, while I was there researching books for some upcoming classroom themes (bugs, the Wild West, and jungle safari) I came across a book that looked interesting. It's called Skippjon Jones by Judy Schachner. It's about a siamese cat who thinks he is a chihuahua named Skippito Friskito. It is hilarious! The illustrations are SO CUTE and the story is SO FUNNY! Here's a sample:

My name is Skippito Friskito.
I fear not a single bandito.
My manners are mellow,
I'm sweet like the Jell-o,
I get the job done, yes indeed-o.

When you read this book, you'll love finding about Skippyjon Jones and how he and Los Chimichangos defeat Alfredo Buzzito, the Bumblebeeto Bandito who steals all the frijoles he can find...
Red beans, black beans,
Boston baked, and blue,
Cocoa, coffee, kidney beans,
Pinto, and jelly too!

And why is he after Los Chimichangos? Because they are "full of the beans too."

If you have children, this book is an absolute MUST-READ!
If you don't have kids, find someone who does and read this book to them. Or heck, just read it yourself for the sheer joy that comes from reading a really silly, fun kids book. (If you don't have kids...like myself, I promise I won't tell anyone that you read it.)

I decided that every once in a while, when I come across a really great book, I'll be sure to share it with you. Adult books, kids' books, cookbooks, etc. Whatever kind of book, if I think it's worth your time, I'll be sure to write about it here.

That's all for now. I've got some reading to do. A grown-up book this time. :)

P.S. When Jason and I finally get a dog, we're naming it SkippyJon Jones. :P

0 comments: