Sunday, August 07, 2005

This week, I received an invitation in the mail. It was for my grandma's 80th birthday party. Unfortunately, I can't attend, but I was asked to share some memories about grandma that will be made into a book that will be her birthday gift from our entire family. Well, it was hard to do, but I sat down and wrote down every single memory about grandma that I could think of. One of my favorite things we did when I was very little was make homemade playdough. I remember that grandma's recipe called for baby oil and to this day, when I smell it, I think of Grandma Nanny's playdough. So, this weekend, I was feeling nostalgic and decided I'd make my own playdough at home. Kinda silly, I know, since I don't have kids to share this with, but some of my friends do, so here's the recipe for my grandma's playdough. And one for Kool-Aid Playdough, too, which I had to try out just to see how it smelled. (VERY GOOD!) Now the question is, what am I gonna do with all this playdough? :)

Perfect Play Dough

2 cups flour
1 cup salt
2 cups water
2 tbsp baby oil
2 tbsp cream of tartar
a few drops liquid food coloring

Combine dry ingredients. Add water and oil. Stir well. Microwave on high 4 to 5 minutes. Stir again. Microwave another minute. Stir. Continue to microwave one minute, then stir, until dough is the consistency of mashed potatoes. Cool it enough to touch. Knead in food coloring until dough is desired color. Store dough in air tight container or ziplock bag.

Kool-Aid Play Dough

1 cup flour
1/2 cup salt
1 packet Kool-Aid unsweetened drink mix
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water

Combine dry ingredients. Add oil. Add boiling water. Stir well and knead until soft dough forms. Store dough in air tight container or ziplock bag. THIS DOUGH SMELLS GREAT, BUT IS NOT EDIBLE!!!

For more dough recipes, go to http://www.theholidayzone.com/recipes/dough.html

0 comments: