Sunday, August 07, 2005




Salsa Part II

Ask and ye shall receive...that's what I learned this weekend. First, Ms. Lee from Mr. Crafty's work gave us a huge bag of tomatoes. I made salsa last weekend and it was a hit. I gave it all away and commented that I would make more if someone gave me tomatoes. Whoa baby! Did I ever get some tomatoes! And potatoes, cucumbers, and squash, too! Me, being the dork that I am, just had to take a picture of all the lovely free stuff that people gave me. (Because I just LOVE that blogger Add Image button!)
So then, my boss brought me a big bag full of cherry and roma tomatoes. I used some tomatoes from the store plus the ones she gave me and made a GALLON of salsa! (Yes, A GALLON!) That's the first picture.
After I got the kitchen cleaned up from that fiasco, Sandy, another lady that Mr. Crafty works with called and asked if we'd like some tomatoes and potatoes. YES! You can never have enough tomatoes if you ask us! Especially the homegrown variety. :) So she came over and brought us everything you see in that 2nd picture. WOW! Those tomatoes are the best ones we've had all season and the potatoes are HUGE! I sent her home with a jar of salsa and we got three bags of stuff. I think we got the better end of that deal, don't you?

So, the salsa recipe. Yes, I will gladly share it with you, but let me first say that I don't know how to make small quantities of it because I only seem to be able to make it by the gallon. Ha!ha! This is one of those recipes you'll just have to experiment with and find out how you like it. I am guessing on the amounts here, so use your best judgement and add more or less of anything you want to make it to your taste. The following recipe is for a medium-hot salsa.

6 to 10 tomatoes (depending on size, could be more or less)
1 white onion
2 jalepeno peppers
2 cloves of garlic
2 Tbsp fresh cilantro (or 2 tsp dried, but fresh is MUCH better)
1 tsp salt

Cut the tomatoes, onion, and peppers into quarters. Place onion, peppers, garlic, and cilantro into a food processor and pulse until it is the consistancy you like. Pour into a large bowl. Next, pulse tomatoes and salt in food processor. Add to onion and pepper mixture and stir until combined. Store in a covered bowl in the refrigerator.

*Be sure not to chop the tomatoes too much or you will end up with very runny, watery salsa!

0 comments: