Monday, June 30, 2008

I was a busy little bee this weekend. I spent two whole days in the kitchen! I decided to try my hand at making baby food. I love the idea of making it myself. Plus, it will save us a TON of money! I spent about $30 for all the ingredients and I'm not sure but I think I have somewhere between 1-2 month's worth of baby food made. If I were to buy it all, that $30 would only buy about 12-14 days worth of the jarred stuff. Check out my freezer:




Those ice cube trays are filled with individual servings of baby food too. I made green beans, carrots, peas, peaches, pears, apple/plum, peach/yogurt, raspberry/apple/blueberry (my favorite!), yogurt/mixed berry. I also have bananas, applesauce, avacados and sweet potatoes that I'll make as needed for him. Those kinds of things don't usually freeze too well and are easy to make quickly so it shouldn't be a problem to make them as I go I think. I am so proud of all my hard work! It really wasn't THAT hard. I would have made it all in one day no problem except I didn't have enough containers to freeze it in. On the 2nd day, I just popped the frozen food out of the containers and stored them in freezer bags so I could wash and reuse the ice trays and containers.

Aside from the baby food making extravaganza, I also made a Weight Watchers Chicago style roasted red pepper and ham pizza, a plum tart, blackberry breakfast bars, and all the sides (mashed potatoes, corn, broccoli with roasted red peppers) to go with the chicken Jason made on the grill last night. Whew! I'm tired just thinking about all that cooking. And don't even get me started counting how many loads of dishes I did. It's a good thing we have leftovers to eat for dinner tonight because this mama needs a break from the kitchen! :) I think when J gets home from work we'll eat leftovers and watch a movie.

But right now, I hear my little sweetie boy waking up so that means lunch for him and then we'll hit the pool for a bit before his nap time. Man, I love my life! Now if only I could meet some friends here that have kids too. Or we could move back to OK so I could be around all my friends and family with kiddos. Words cannot express sometimes how much I wish we lived closer. I keep praying J will get transferred back to Muskogee but so far no go. Guess I'll just try to be patient because good things come to those who wait, right?

0 comments: