Thursday, February 15, 2007

Well my Valentine's Day was eventful. Maybe more so than I had planned. The plan was to order Chinese food from our favorite take-out place, eat dinner and exchange gifts. Then we were going to have some wine and dessert and have a nice romantic evening watching a classic movie. Instead, Jason came home and couldn't get into the driveway because the snow plow blocked in our driveway and he was stuck in the street.

I got bundled up and went out to help him shovel the ice and snow off of the driveway. He started at one end of the driveway and I started at the other. I hadn't been shoveling very long when my feet slipped out from under partly because of the 40 mile per hour winds. I landed with my hand still wrapped around the handle of the shovel crushing my hand. I tried to yell for help but the wind was so loud it took a few minutes to hear me, but when he did he came running over to help me up. We went inside and surveyed the damage to my hand. My finger hurt but not nearly as bad as my stomach did from all the pain. From the way my finger hurt, I knew something was WAY wrong, so we got in the car. Carefully.

We went to Urgent Care and they took an x-ray of my finger. The Dr. said it is definitely a fracture and the bone is pushing into the joint of my index finger. He gave me a splint, a prescription for Lortab, and a referral to an Orthopedic Surgeon (I have an appointment with them Tuesday at 8:45.)

By now, it was 8:45 and we hadn't even had dinner. Luckily, the Chinese food place is opened late. We called the food in and picked it up on the way home. We ate dinner and exchanged gifts as planned. I gave J the Chris Daughtry CD, some candy, a card, a Martini shaker with hearts on it and chocolate-covered fortune cookies with love messages inside. He gave me some beautiful red tulips (my favorite), a rose scented Yankee candle and a card. We had a nice night except the whole broken finger thing and four hours in the Urgent Care.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Before we went to sleep, we had dessert. Earlier in the day, I used some of that coffee flavored ice cream I have been talking about so much and made a heart shaped hot fudge sundae. It was a nice way to end the night. After that, I took a pain pill and went to bed. Next time, I don't think I'll offer to help shovel the driveway.

J was nice enough to transcribe this post for me. Guess he felt sorry for my hunt-and-peck typing. :)

0 comments: