Monday, June 19, 2006

We started our "Luau Week" at school today. I think the kids had fun, but mostly I think they are too young to quite "get it" like I'd hoped. Fine by me. Mostly I did that for sanity's sake so that our normal routine is a bit different. Otherwise, it would have been the same old thing. What's the same old thing? Something like this:

7:15 - 8:45 Play outside
8:45 - 9:15 Wash hands for snack
9:15 - 9:30 Snack time
9:30 - 10:15 Circle time (where we learn the lesson of the day, read a story, etc.)
10:15 - 11:00 Center time (where we play games, work on art projects, etc.)
11:00 - 11:45 Play outside
11:45 - 12:00 Wash hands for lunch
12:00 - 12:45 Lunch
12:45 - 1:15 Brush teeth and get everyone ready for nap
1:15 - 3:15 Nap time
3:15 - 3:45 Get everyone up and ready to go outside
3:45 - 5:45 Play outside
And the next day?
Repeat.
Every.
Single.
Day.

Now, I DO understand that little ones need structure. Trust me, these kids LOVE the routine that comes from just knowing what to do during the day. But I find myself wondering "When do they get time to just be a kid?" No structure, no time constraints, nothing.
And the answer to that? At home! I am perfectly convinced that more than 1/2 of our class just does whatever the heck they want at home. I've seen the way the parents interact with their kids when they drop them off/pick them up. And while I do admit that is only a very short amount of time, you can tell by the way they talk to their kids whether or not they are made to mind at home. But, I digress.

What started out with me just wondering whether or not this daily schedule was a good thing or not somehow evolved into a criticism of some of the parents but that's not really what I intended. (Even though it DOES raise a very valid point there!) Now I'm wondering what you think. Do you think such a schedule is a good thing for kids? Keep in mind that I teach 3 year olds. Do you think that is too young to start that kind of thing? Or is it somehow getting them ready for kindergarten at an earlier age? Let me know what you think.

0 comments: