Friday, June 30, 2006

OK, so my lesson for today was continuing on the theme of "Happy Birthday, America!" I read a book called "A is for America: An American Alphabet" by Devin Scillian. And it's just that...a beautifully illustrated, beautifully written children's alphabet book about America.
For the letter X it says:

The letter X should remind us of the importance of election day,
When all Americans rich and poor are allowed to have their say.
Some were told they couldn't vote if they couldn't write their name.
So they signed the ballot with the letter X and it counted just the same.

After I read this, one of the kids asked "What's a ballot?" And I had the privilege of being probably one of the first people (if not THE first) to talk to them about the concept of VOTING. I told them that is how we as Americans help elect our President and how we make the laws or "rules" that we live by. I also very briefly explained that people in other countries don't have this freedom and how lucky we are to be able to have a say in how our government is run. Now mind you, I'm not sure how much of this stuck with them, because they're only 3, but I know a few of them remembered the idea because today I said "Let's take a vote. How many of you want to play outside?" and one of them piped up with "That's like in the book you read to us!" Wow. What an awesome responsibility and what an honor...to be the first to introduce them to the idea of voting.

0 comments: