Friday, May 05, 2006

I know this is like 4 days overdue, but what do you think about Monday's protest? I know some people I've talked to have some heated things to say about the subject, but me? I feel like I'm too uninformed to make a good decision either way, even though I do watch the news and read the papers and listen to the radio. But can we really rely that much on those sources for accurate reporting or does it all have some degree of "spin" on it for entertainment sake?

On this subject though, I will say that I agree with 2 things I've heard:

1. At one time, we were ALL immigrants to this country. Our laws, our ancestors, everything came from somewhere else. That being said, I do also think that

2. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things. There are immigration laws for a reason. If I went to another country and they said I needed to, I don't know, wear only red shoes. Well, then I would wear red shoes, you know? Because that's the law.

I think that's one of the problems with the world today. Everyone thinks they can do whatever they want if only their excuse is good enough. Killed somebody? Well, you're insane, so that's OK. Here in this country illegally? Well, you're escaping horrible conditions and trying to better yourself, so we'll just say OK. No! I think if someone wants to enter this country, good for them, but they should abide by the laws and follow the procedure to do so legally. But I also think that our lawmakers need to overhaul those laws and take a serious look at why so many people choose not to go that route.

Now, I don't know enough about immigration laws to suggest ways to make it better, but I do realize that something needs to be done. I wonder if President Bush feels the same way I do. I know there's a problem, but I have no idea how to fix it. Some people around here are so Anti-Bush, but I say to them, what would you suggest, then?

Happy Cinco De Mayo. Dos margaritas, por favor!

0 comments: