Monday, February 12, 2007

My friend, Jenni posted the story of how she and her hubby met on her website and I thought it was a great idea.
For those of you who don't know the story, here it is:

My friend Kristy had been talking for a while about how her boyfriend had this friend that I just HAD to meet. Every time she'd mention it, I'd roll my eyes and think "No way am I going on a blind date!" But there was this concert (Jason Boland & the Stragglers) that I really wanted to go to and she said she'd invite this guy and not tell him she was going to introduce us so I could check him out and see if I was interested. So I got all dressed up (jeans, black wrap sweater, tall black boots for all you detail-minded ladies out there) and I met her there at the concert. She introduces me to Jason and completely disappears! She ditched me there and didn't come back until half way through the concert...it's a good thing I liked this guy! We had fun at the concert and he asked for my phone number at the end of the night, but he was more than just a little bit intoxicated that night, so I didn't really think he'd call.

A few days later, my roomate answered the phone and says "It's Jason." I could tell by the tone of her voice that she thought it was my EX Jason, not this new guy I had just met, so when I answered the phone, I have to admit my "hello" was less than polite. Once I realized my mistake, I started apologizing right and left, but luckily the "new Jason" as my roomate quickly learned to call him, thought it was funny and asked me out anyway. We went out on our first date and had fun. He took me to Chili's and to Hastings, where we rented movies and went to his house to watch them. We watched Old School and Minority Report and he took me home.

After our first date, I didn't hear from him for a while, so I assumed he must not have had as much fun as I did. I got a little irritated about it, but not too much. Boy did I feel like a jerk when I found out that he hadn't called me because he was busy with school and visiting his nephew in the hospital!

We went out on a few dates and after only a couple of weeks, we were both totally smitten. We kept telling ourselves "This is too good to be true. It's too soon to feel like this, etc, etc." We dated and went to a million more concerts that year and by the time spring break rolled around, we knew we'd end up getting married. We actually talked about it quite a bit but he decided he wanted me to pick out my ring myself. He said because I'd be wearing it forever, he wanted to know that I liked it. So we skipped classes (!) the Friday before Spring Break to go to Tulsa to pick out my ring. He proposed in the mall parking lot and we've been happy together ever since. :)

It must be love, because I followed him from OSU to Muskogee so that he could start a new job. Then after I got all nice and settled in at NSU, he moved me again! This time it was all the way to Virginia! :) We've since bought a cute little house in West Virginia and are happy here, but not after a VERY LONG adjustment period. Now we're just busy at work, working on our house and seeing new things. We don't get home as often as we'd like, but we do like it here and I've come to appreciate the closeness that all that moving around brought us. Now it's just us here and we're the only family each other has (here anyway) and so we've got to make our own traditions and special occasions. It's pretty nice.
(Jason, quit reading over my shoulder as I type or I'll think of something really embarassing to tell everyone!)

There are so many things that could have kept us from getting together.

1. He almost didn't go to that concert that night. His friend didn't go, so he almost didn't go either.

2. I almost didn't talk to him when he called the first time. My roomate almost didn't let me.

and 3. I really almost didn't talk to him when he DIDN'T call (after our first date). Good thing I got over being stubborn and found out why he didn't call.

OK, now that I've probably embarrassed my husband and bored the rest of you to tears, that's the end of how we met. Anyone else want to tell how you met your sweetie?

0 comments: