Monday, August 01, 2005


Feelin' hot, hot, HOT!!!

Someone in Mr. Crafty's department gave him a huge plastic grocery sack full of home-grown tomatoes today. YUM! I immediately thought "salsa" when I saw them. On my way home tonight, I stopped at the store to get peppers, garlic, onions and cilantro. Then, when I got home, I threw everything into my food processor and turned it into enough salsa to fill a small wading pool. Good thing we like salsa! And it is SOOO good, if I do say so myself. But it is so hot that it will surely set you free (as my dad says)! So, I'm keeping some for myself and taking the rest to work in a couple of jars.

Speaking of work...I forgot to mention what someone brought in a few weeks ago. One day, one of our patients brought in the most delicious chocolate chip cookies I have ever tasted. They were gone in no time and everyone still raves about them. (Must figure out where she found that recipe and copy it. Hehe!) So then, a few days later, she calls and asks if she can bring something new in...something she's been wanting to try out. We say "heck yeah!" thinking it will be some more of the same yummy goodness she brought in before.
Well, she brings in what looks to be more chocolate chip cookies and we are pretty excited since the last batch was so good. You will never guess what was in these cookies. Little green specks that looked like sprinkles. Someone had to try them first and being the foodie that I am, I volunteered. WOW!!! HOT! Those little green specks were JALAPENOS!!!!!!!!! What the heck would you go and screw up a perfectly good chocolate chip cookie like that for? Needless to say, people usually only had one of those little jewels.
But you know, the thing that boggles my mind is that she actually thought they were good! This was not some practical joke she was playing! This woman is actually trying to start up a small dessert catering business from her home and thinks that people would want to eat chocolate chip cookies with jalapenos! Scary! What do you think? Would you try one?

Oh, and on another note about food...I've been trying out smoothies. They're basically vanilla yogurt, milk, and whatever fruit I happen to have on hand.
One of my favorite concoctions tastes a lot like an Orange Julius. YUM! I took one to my friend Sonja and she said it was pretty good! Actually, when I had her try the berry one, she said I should open up a smoothie shop. Boy, that was good for my old ego! :)

When Mr. Crafty and I were first dating, I let him in on a little secret about me. You know how they say that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach? Well, the way to mine is to compliment my cooking. See, this CraftyLilDevil is just the teensiest bit vain. OK, I relish a good compliment and think about it for weeks, that's how bad it is. But at least I'm honest, right?! Anyway, one of my favorite things in the world is to cook something and share it with other people. But what REALLY makes my day is for that someone to tell me how much they enjoyed my cooking! That's why sometimes I just go on and on about a new recipe I've tried or what I cooked today or whatever. So, sorry to bore you all with what has turned out to be a food blog, but that is what I like to do these days, so that is what I write about lately. :)

Hope you had something yummy for dinner tonight! Anyone want some homemade salsa? I've got plenty!

0 comments: