Saturday, September 11, 2004

My kitchen looks like a disaster! I just spent the last 3 hours making and canning some homemade tomato sauce. I LOVE this recipe. No, it usually does not take 3 hours unless you're crazy like me and decide to make a double batch and learn to can like grandma does. Now I have 7 pints of tomato sauce to use for spaghetti, pizza, lasagna, or whatever.

Here's the recipe.

Basic Tomato Sauce

1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
3 lbs (about 18) plum tomatoes, chopped OR 2 (28 oz.) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
1/4 cup dry red wine
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)

Heat oil in a skillet and add garlic and onions. Heat until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, tomato paste, and all spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until flavors are blended and sauce is slightly thickened, about 25 minutes.
Per 1/2 cup serving: 48 cal, 2g fat, 0 sat fat, 0 cholest, 109mg sod, 8g carb,
2g fib, 1g prot, 14mg calc. 1 Weight Watcher point per serving.

This sauce freezes well and makes a total of 6 cups.

Tomorrow I'm making a lower fat version of Broccoli Cheese Soup...one of my favorites! :)

0 comments: